Now is considered a time when the global population is getting more health-conscious. According to a report, more Filipinos are looking for more health-friendly alternatives when it comes to food options. Several health-conscious food businesses also arise, and you’ll notice that more of them have ‘less sugar,’ ‘less salt,’ or ‘less fat’ options.
However, now is also the time when you can have your favorite milk tea or burger when you crave for one. In just a few taps on your mobile app, your favorite snack will be at your doorsteps in an instant.
In case you want this dirty habit to stop, we’ve listed down healthy snack alternatives you can buy, or keep on your desk or food pantry to munch on any time.
1. Raw Nuts You can find nuts in any grocery. It’s a very popular snack but not everyone knows the health benefits they provide. If you enjoy eating almonds, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, and cashew nuts, then you’re on the right track.
Nuts are a good source of nutrients. They are high in healthy fat and low in calories. They also have antioxidants and are high in fiber.
2. Veggie Chips Here’s the key to stopping your junk food addiction. There are packed snacks available in the country made of 100% real vegetables, but are crisped and made easy to eat. And these chips are made without artificial flavoring.
3. Dried Fruit Snacks Dried mangoes are not only for pasalubong. It is a healthy snack too, like other dried fruits found in the market. It contains nutrients and antioxidants. Dried fruits also improve one’s digestive health and blood flow.
4. Coconut Water You’ll find coconut trees and coconut fruits almost everywhere in the country. What makes it fun is 100% coconut water is now also available in supermarkets nationwide. This product is high in potassium, low in calories, and has no fat or cholesterol.
5. Peanut Butter Pair it with a banana or an apple, or a loaf of whole wheat bread. You can even eat it by itself (straight from the jar, if you want). It’s a good source of protein, potassium, and fiber, and it is easy to find.
6. Trail Mix Trail Mix is not another junk food. Nuts and seeds are good sources of natural protein and healthy fats. It’s a healthy snack you can bring anywhere you go.
7. Popcorn Yes, popcorn is a healthy snack too! It has nutrients and antioxidants. Just don’t add too much butter, salt, or sugar. Anything in excess is never healthy. And eat in moderation, not a whole tub of popcorn on your own.
8. Cereals Dry cereals you can pop in your mouth is a good snack option too. They are gluten-free and rich in fiber. Opt for a whole-grain cereal for a healthier version. Add milk or fresh fruit if you want.
9. Healthy Chicharon Chicharons can be healthy too! There are now several kinds of safe-to-eat chicharons you can find online .like the mushroom chicharon. One more good thing is that it is locally made and buying one means helping our local entrepreneurs.
10. Nori Seaweed or Roasted Seaweed Snack on nori seaweed for a source of vitamin B6 and B12. This Japanese snack has fiber and iodine too. Just remember not to finish one pack in one seating.
11. Tuna You can eat tuna straight from the can or mix it with mayonnaise and lettuce in a slice of whole wheat bread. Tuna is a heart-friendly snack that also lowers blood pressure and improves the body’s immunity. There’s a lot you can get from a can of tuna, so snack on it whenever you feel like filling a hungry tummy.
12. Frozen Yogurt Looking for an alternative to ice cream? FroYo is the way to go! This healthy dessert has nutrients and has lower calories compared to your favorite ice cream. Better if you top it with healthy fruits and check if the sugar is made of healthier version too.
There are many healthy snack options besides the usual fruits and salads we know. And they don’t have to be expensive in order to be healthy.
We hope this list made it on your grocery list. You can mix and match any of these suggestions and spread them out on different days.
Do you know other healthy snacks that we should include on this list? Comment them down!